Problems with the shared data source OperationalDataBaseMain on SQL 2008 R2 SSRS.

If you imported the community management pack SCC Health Check Reports (http://www.systemcentercentral.com/BlogDetails/tabid/143/IndexID/73350/Default.aspx) then you probably also experience an issue when you upgrade your Operations Manager SSRS environment to SQL 2008 R2 Sp1 as a preparation for the Operations Manager 2012 upgrade. The SCC Health Check Reports management pack connects to the OperationsManager database through the shared data source “OperationalDataBaseMain”. With SQL 2005 all settings described in the above link worked.
After moving our SCOM reporting to a new Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server with SSRS 2008 R2 Sp1 the following event log entry appeared on the management server which was contacted from the reporting server:

ID 31567:

Failed to deploy reporting component to the SQL Server Reporting Services server. The operation will be retried.
Exception ‘DeploymentException’: Failed to deploy reports for management pack with version dependent id ‘3865f46b-54a4-464e-aa7c-2762b5b42856’. Failed to deploy report ‘SCC.HealthCheck.Reports.V2.OM.Misc.ManagementPacks’. AdjustDataSources: Exception <ErrorCode xmlns=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices”>rsInvalidParameter</ErrorCode><HttpStatus xmlns=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices”>400</HttpStatus><Message xmlns=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices”>The value of parameter ‘DataSources’ is not valid.</Message><HelpLink xmlns=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices”>http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=20476&amp;EvtSrc=Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ErrorStrings&amp;EvtID=rsInvalidParameter&amp;ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server%20Reporting%20Services&amp;ProdVer=10.50.1617.0</HelpLink><ProductName xmlns=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices”>Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services</ProductName><ProductVersion xmlns=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices”>10.50.1617.0</ProductVersion><ProductLocaleId xmlns=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices”>127</ProductLocaleId><OperatingSystem xmlns=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices”>OsIndependent</OperatingSystem><CountryLocaleId xmlns=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices”>1033</CountryLocaleId><MoreInformation xmlns=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices”><Source>ReportingServicesLibrary</Source><Message msrs:ErrorCode=”rsInvalidParameter” msrs:HelpLink=”http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=20476&amp;EvtSrc=Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ErrorStrings&amp;EvtID=rsInvalidParameter&amp;ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server%20Reporting%20Services&amp;ProdVer=10.50.1617.0&#8243; xmlns:msrs=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices”>The value of parameter ‘DataSources’ is not valid.</Message></MoreInformation><Warnings xmlns=”http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reportingservices&#8221; /> 

In the event you can see that it has problems with a report that connects to the OperationsManager database. This error will effect all reports that use this shared data source so also custom reports.

If you run the report then you get the failure “rsInvalidDataSourceReference“. 

I found the blog from Marnix and followed his procedure, but that did not help.
http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2010/09/eventid-31567-failed-to-deploy.html

Afterwards I tried other things and found this solution:
It looks like a missing link to the correct data source in the ReportServer database (add screenshot and link).

  1. Logon to the Operations Manager SQL server and give the data reader account data_reader permissions on the OperationsManager database.
  2. Open up http://reportservername/reports and change the settings to “credentials are not required” for the data source OperationalDataBaseMain:
    Test the data source and click Apply.
  3. Open up the details view in the SCC Health Check Reports folder and change the data source of the report that caused the event to the shared OperationalDataBaseMain data source.
  4. Do that for all failed reports which use this data source.

The problem behind that is that the link to the data source is missing.

You can check that in SQL Server Management Studio. Run this query:

SELECT Name, Link, ItemID FROM [ReportServer].[dbo].[DataSource] where name like ‘operational%’

If the Link field is empty, then the report will not work. After manually updating the data source in SSRS the link entry should be filled and all other missing reports should be deployed correctly.

Advertisements
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: